David Weatherly, Philadelphia
David Weatherly was at work in Philadelphia C. 1805 -1850. He relocated his shop 5 times in the City during his career starting out on Pewter Platter Alley C. 1805, then to 87 N. 3rd in 1806, 83 N. 3rd C. 1807 – 1808, 81 N. 3rd 1809 – 1840, and finally to 150 N. 10th 1840 – 1850. He advertrised in the City Business Directories: DeSilver’s & McElroy’s. This clock is C. 1820 and represents a transitional clock from the late Federal Period. This one is not for the faint …of heart or low ceiling as it stands a monumental 109 inches tall. The quality of the case, wood selection and patina are remarkable. The primary wood is Mahogany with long leaf Yellow Pine & Tulip Poplar secondaries. Note the chamfered columns that flank the waist with and inset reeded treatment. The “tombstone” shaped waist door is another carry over from the earlier case forms. The base rests on an applied molding and base section that is removable all resting on turned feet. The painted iron dial is a local product and likely from the Patton & Jones shop that retains an untouched original signature by Weatherly. The dial mounts to the movement through an unmarked, thin, iron false plate. The eight day brass striking movement mounts to the seat board in four places including hooks in the front and rear plate. The top finial is original as are the cast iron weights, winding crank and pendulum.